Our Strategy and Vision
The Concrete Industry Sustainable Construction Strategy
In 2008, the UK concrete industry agreed a Concrete Industry Sustainable Construction Strategy for the UK concrete industry to be recognised as a leader in sustainable construction, by taking a dynamic role in delivering a sustainable, low carbon built environment in a socially, environmentally and economically responsible manner.
As the UK construction industry’s approach to sustainability develops, our industry strategy needs to stay ahead of supply chain requirements. In 2012, we are delighted to announce the launch of an updated Concrete Industry Sustainable Construction Strategy with targets to 2020 and beyond.
"The UK concrete industry will be recognised as a leader in sustainable construction, by taking a dynamic role in delivering a sustainable, low carbon built environment in a socially, environmentally and economically responsible manner."
1. Commit to our role in achieving a sustainable built environment and contribute to construction industry and government initiatives
2. Engage with the broader supply chain to inform good practice and continue to explore new ways of improving our sustainable production performance
3. Communicate with clients to provide knowledge of concrete solutions to enable the design and construction of a sustainable built environment
1. Contribute to the delivery of a low carbon built environment
2. Provide Life Cycle Assessment data compliant with codes and standards
3. Develop a Material and Resource Efficiency Programme to inform best practice across the life cycle of concrete in the built environment
4. Develop a Low Carbon Freight Initiative to support improvement in transport performance through the concrete supply chain to construction sites
5. Develop a Water Strategy to support the measurement and reporting of sustainability performance and target setting
6. Target continuous improvement of sustainable production performance and report performance annually
These commitments can be read in full here